Anyone here, love DOD or DigiTech ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here, love DOD or DigiTech ?

A couple of years ago, a good amp company Carvin closed it's doors and stopped making amps, P. A.'s, other great audio gear. All that remains is Kiesel Guitars. They made some of my favorite amps like the powerful Quad X, the X-100B, the Legacy 1,2, and 3 and the V3.

Recently, the Harmon Company closed the doors on DOD and DigiTech.
    They had their ups and downs. In the early 1990's, they broke away from the pack with the RP-1, the first fully M.I.D.I. Multi Effects floor unit to have the flexibility of rack full effects units at a musicians feet.
    To me, the RP 10 and 12, 14, 21 , for that time frame , gave Zoom, Roland and Boss a run for their money. They also produced some great rack units like the GSP series, the 2101, the 2112 SGS, 2120 in the very late 90's
    Then in the early 2000's, it seemed to many their edge was lost and seemed to only produce gear out of hard plastic, instead of a steel chasis like in the 1990's.
    Towards the end of their run, they got back on track with the RP 500, 1000 and the 1101 rack unit.
    DOD had great grear too.
    Anybody ever had any of the DOD or DigiTech gear ?

I had many of the FX series. DOD was cool. They had the beginners' pedals stigma when I first got them in the late 80's. Some were crap, some sounded quite good.

They got a lot of flak from the battery door being so easy to lose. Also there was some trouble witht he switches not lasting long. I still have an early 90's Stereo Flanger in its box. I wish I had kept the pale avocado green envelope filter that Flea made popular, tahnks to him It's a collectible now.

I remember the metal maniac, it was the usual can of bees but with the tone rolled back it was very punk in its fluorescent yellow and full of dings and scratches. There were a couple of preposterous distortions with tiny delays and useless compression, like super american metal and an "attacker" or something. I had them all at some point.
    When you think about it they were very cool. Cheap, US made, solid. If you opened them you could read the tags with the names of the employees/supervisors that assembled them

Lately I lust after a 250 overdrive and all those early two-knob reissues. I think there was even a batch of new pedals with that early y two-knob box before they finally folded.

THE CRUNCHYTOWN HERALD
    A poor but honest blog

Comment

I loved the DOD FX 30 Looper Gate, it had a noise gate that was great and the gate was so perfect, it would never cut off my signal too soon. The effects loop was buffered and I would run a Arion Hot Watt 2 ( it's light distortion was better than a TS 808 ) with sweet overdrive / chorus and a Boss Super Distortion / Feedbacker, so I had the choice of hard distortion , light overdrive and it made my Carvin X-100B or Marshall JCM 800 , sing and sting.

Comment

I have a Digitech RP255 that I like, but I prefer my Zoom G2Nu.

Comment

Originally posted by El Cruncho View Post
          I had many of the FX series. DOD was cool. They had the beginners' pedals stigma when I first got them in the late 80's. Some were crap, some sounded quite good.

They got a lot of flak from the battery door being so easy to lose. Also there was some trouble witht he switches not lasting long. I still have an early 90's Stereo Flanger in its box. I wish I had kept the pale avocado green envelope filter that Flea made popular, tahnks to him It's a collectible now.

I remember the metal maniac, it was the usual can of bees but with the tone rolled back it was very punk in its fluorescent yellow and full of dings and scratches. There were a couple of preposterous distortions with tiny delays and useless compression, like super american metal and an "attacker" or something. I had them all at some point.
          When you think about it they were very cool. Cheap, US made, solid. If you opened them you could read the tags with the names of the employees/supervisors that assembled them

Lately I lust after a 250 overdrive and all those early two-knob reissues. I think there was even a batch of new pedals with that early y two-knob box before they finally folded.

I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase anything Hardon makes. They make some classic gear, but it's kind of a shitty company.

Comment

I have an old Digitech Valve FX rackmount unit, with the footpedals; I run an older Roland SH-09 Analog single-oscillator monosynth through it to phatten it up. It can get pretty wild. The tube sound is nothing to write home about, though.

Comment

I used a DOD Delay (FX90) that in-hindsight sounded surprisingly good, and the DOD noise gate pedal, playing in metal and punk bands.

Comment

They made some World class gear, but their warranty / services were crappy.
                If they stopped producing a certain model they would no longer service that particular effects pedal or multi effects floor / rack units.
                They would refure me to a local overpriced repair company that was shut down recently for overpricing and fraudulent practices.
                My two RP 1's, two RP 12's, Freqout and DigiTech 2112 SGS are still going strong and I truly feel since using these units, I don't ever have to buy anymore Multi Effects unit , ever again
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                X