I was reading The Analects Of Confucius last night for about an hour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading The Analects Of Confucius last night for about an hour

I can't even remember if I read any of that before but I think a lot of it may lose something in the translation. Just doesn't seem very accessible. And there's the whole issue of ancestor worship and unquestioning fealty to parents that I don't quite understand.

But the main points of the teachings of Confucius are the main, simple points of most religions. Don't lie, cheat, or steal among the most stressed.

And there are still at this time millions of people who consider themselves followers of Confucianism which in some places like Taiwan is mixed with Taoism and Buddhism

Here for your reading pleasure, The Analects: http://confucius-1.com/analects/index.html

I read the back of the cereal box this morning. Is it the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by oldsoapbars View Post
      I read the back of the cereal box this morning. Is it the same thing?
      The Superior Man would most likely not consider that a good source of information.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F2C23CA-D70E-4AF1-B81C-1AE364799EA5.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	72174 I read this book last night

Comment

Originally posted by KerrygoldPureIrishButter View Post

Name:	0F2C23CA-D70E-4AF1-B81C-1AE364799EA5.jpeg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	72174 I read this book last night

trent used to open for him in the catskills

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbenator View Post

trent used to open for him in the catskills

Name:	ADEAD4A6-2D32-4431-9BEE-9339F651919F.jpeg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	72184

Comment

Originally posted by Mother Sister

I wonder what he would say about trump, who lies and cheats the way other people eat and breathe?

I'm quite sure he would say he's a bad leader and would say the same about most of our presidents and leaders and representatives in Congress we've had for a very long time.

In fact if you read The Analects and other works of Confucius, which I failed to mention much of it is about the proper role and responsibilites of government and its leaders towards the people.

Comment

I was reading on a matchbook, I could order a course to grow muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother Sister

It's true that almost all our leaders have been caught in various lies, but trump hasn't been caught in a lie here or there, he's lied over 10,000 times since he's taken office.

He is further from the Confucian ideal than any other leader in American History by 10,000.

I'm also sure you've never read more than a few sentences of the teachings of Confucius so your comments on how anyone is closer or nearer to them are negligible. As is most of what you say and the contents of your conscious mind. All negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
                    I was reading on a matchbook, I could order a course to grow muscles.

Name:	0ED92E07-FE92-495D-93E6-E33745FDDA4F.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	72268

Comment

Working...
                    X