A poor but honest blog

Comment

• Bulldog
      Bulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      You can sometimes smell it before you feel it

Smells real bad and you know it’s gonna hurt

Originally posted by pigger View Post

We had to solder to IPC-610 guidelines at "work". I usually gave the work to assemblers, who were paid to solder and did it well.

I solder at home with a Weller similar to what was posted above, when necessary.
    The government has very strict guidelines.
    I soldered for decades at work and at home, without and issue. That is until I took a class from a guy that taught soldering to workers doing government work.

Then the instructor would look at the solder joint under a magnifier like this.
    They are very handy and worth having.

https://www.toolots.com/rt301-01-led...chine%20Lights

Comment

Originally posted by Puddin Tane View Post

I soldered for decades at work and at home, without and issue. That is until I took a class from a guy that taught soldering to workers doing government work.

I also got one of those when I started building stuff to sell.

My back needs all the help it can get.

Comment

Yeah, we had those errywhere. Many of the parts/leads were so small that the assemblers worked using microscopes.

Comment

If you ever have some extra buckeroos, a soldering rework station is very handy.

Comment

I've never soldered with lead-free solder, no idea what that's like.

Comment

I've never soldered with lead-free solder, no idea what that's like.
              Don't bother lead free sucks. It also needs more heat.
              Shine is not what you look for with lead free solder. It don't flow nicely either and kind of balls up

You're a hobbyist not a manufacturing facility, so hopefully you'll never solder enough or toss out enough solder to make a difference to your health or the environment.

Comment

Yeah, we had those errywhere. Many of the parts/leads were so small that the assemblers worked using microscopes.
                I soldered with a microscope a few times.

Definitely wanna lay offa the coffee if you're gonna do this.

Comment

Don't bother lead free sucks. It also needs more heat.
                  Shine is not what you look for with lead free solder. It don't flow nicely either and kind of balls up

You're a hobbyist not a manufacturing facility, so hopefully you'll never solder enough or toss out enough solder to make a difference to your health or the environment.

I toss lead out in relatively small increments; typically 90 to 500 grains at a time. Sometimes this will happen several hundred times on a given day.

I no longer work in a manufacturing environment.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkleburg View Post

I soldered with a microscope a few times.

Definitely wanna lay offa the coffee if you're gonna do this.
                    I was amazed at what some of the more talented assemblers could do; miracle workers.

Comment

I've gotten quit good at soldering. At first, my soldering skills were not great.
                      Soon, my skills got better due to replacing pots, caps, pickups and switches.

I recently ordered some custom push / push concentric ( 2 in 1 pots) potentiometers.
                      Every guitarist and bassist should learn how to solder, you don't have to wait on a repairman's bench time / purgatory and you could, after a while, do better custom work that suits your liking.

Comment

I used to build portable cases for Hammond organs. over a hundred solder connections installing them in the case.

im also pretty good a sweating copper

Comment

PRO TIP: don't solder on your lap when nakid.

Comment

Working...
                          X