I accidentally over-filled my power steering reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I accidentally over-filled my power steering reservoir

And conflicting opinions from people online on whether that is a problem or not. What say you oh car gurus of TOOJ?

I was thinking about buying one of these to remove the excess fluid, but not sure if I need to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMWNQQ5..._t3_B00LRCS6RO

The underlying problem is I get steering system squealing on very tight turns, where the steering wheel is all the way to either side so I was trying to top off the fluid to possibly eliminate that.

remove the excess with a turkey baster

Comment

Buy and read "1001 Uses for a Turkey Baster" by Betty Crocker.

It is available from Amazon, and should have a chapter on this.

Comment

Also check the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygs Malone View Post
          And conflicting opinions from people online on whether that is a problem or not. What say you oh car gurus of TOOJ?

I was thinking about buying one of these to remove the excess fluid, but not sure if I need to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMWNQQ5..._t3_B00LRCS6RO

The underlying problem is I get steering system squealing on very tight turns, where the steering wheel is all the way to either side so I was trying to top off the fluid to possibly eliminate that.
          Easy fix. Do as you always do. Go on line and find something that confirms what you want to believe. Facts be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsoapbars View Post

Easy fix. Do as you always do. Go on line and find something that confirms what you want to believe. Facts be damned.
            Dood, do you have brain damage? I don't know what to believe, that's why I asked the question and like I said there is conflicting info online. Some people say no problem, some say it can damage the system. About 50/50 either way.

Comment

Dip a straw into it and suck out the excess. Then loosen the belt.

Comment

I believe that the sort of thing that wouldn’t hurt it in the sort term but over a long period of time would put extra wear on the pump.

If you’re not sure about something it’s best to err on the side of caution. If it says do not over fill then guess what...

Comment

Originally posted by Maleficio View Post
                  Dip a straw into it and suck out the excess. Then loosen the belt.
                  Ok to swallow the fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
                    I believe that the sort of thing that wouldn’t hurt it in the sort term but over a long period of time would put extra wear on the pump.

If you’re not sure about something it’s best to err on the side of caution. If it says do not over fill then guess what...
                    Remove the thermostat?

Comment

Some belt dressing will fix the squeals

Comment

So are you guys saying the belt being too tight or too loose can cause that squealing on tight turns?

Actually I just drove it and I think that overfilling is getting rid of the squeak. Not sure. But I'm not driving more than 6 miles at a time so I'm just gonna let it stay overfilled for a while longer and then siphon out some fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygs Malone View Post

Remove the thermostat?
                          And the capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by mooger View Post
                            Some belt dressing will fix the squeals
                            That sounds gay.

Comment

My Miata has no power steering fluid.

Comment

Working...